1. Why is Uncle Sam a symbol of the U.S. government?
A. Government leaders look like him
B. He was created long ago.
C. He looks determined, and he wears red, white, and blue.
D. His picture appears on the U.S. flag.
2. James Flagg created his Uncle Sam poster for
A. meat-buyers for the U.S. Army.
B. people who did not live in the United States
C. people who could help fight the war.
D. newspaper reporters.
3. Which statement BEST summarizes the main idea of the article?
A. Uncle Sam provided meat for the U.S. Army.
B. Uncle Sam was definitely a real person.
C. Uncle Sam is a famous United States symbol.
D. Government property is stamped with Uncle Sam's picture.
4. Why is it hard to prove that Uncle Sam was named after Samuel
5. How do you think Thomas Nast chose Uncle Sam's costume?
Explain why he chose the colors and design. Use details to
support your response.